Lijit Ad Tag

Friday, August 10, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars


My husband and I eat a lot of granola bars. I always make sure to pack him one for work so he can eat it as a mid-morning snack. I usually grab one throughout the day as a snack or quick breakfast. I've always wanted to make my own granola bars, but just never got around to it. Now that I have though, I don't know if I can go back to store-bought. Not only did these taste great, but I know exactly what went into them and they cost at least $1-1.50 less than the store-brand granola bars. Not that $1 is a significant difference, but to me it is when I can make them free of preservatives. I am ready to experiment with some other add-ins too, like dried fruit, nuts and pretzels.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Source: Adapted from Lauren's Latest, who adapted them from Rachael Ray
Makes 10 bars.

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons butter2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups quick cooking oats (I only had regular oats, so I pulsed them in a food processor until they were fine like quick cooking oats and they worked great.)
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (I used regular because I didn't have mini, but I recommend the mini ones!)

Directions:
1. Mix the oats and crispy rice cereal together in a large bowl. Set aside.

2. In a small saucepan, melt the butter, peanut butter, honey and brown sugar together. Once bubbling, simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla.

3. Pour the butter mixture over the oats and rice cereal mixture. Mix well.

4. Press the mixture into a greased 8x8 pan. Make sure to really pack them down so they don't fall apart when you cut them into bars. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the bars and press down gently. Allow to cool for 2 hours. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment