Lijit Ad Tag

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Summer Spaghetti


I've had this spaghetti bookmarked for quite some time to try and just happened to have all of the ingredients on hand this week. I love summer produce and don't feel like I have made the most of it yet this summer. However, I have been kicking it into high gear the past couple of weeks because I know that summer days are limited and the farmers' market and grocery store will be flooded with fall produce in just a matter of time. Fall is my absolute favorite season, but I can't let the summer pass by without making simple dishes that shine with fresh vegetables. I definitely recommend this dish for a lunch or a light dinner. It can be easily customized to any vegetables you have on hand and I think a splash of lemon juice would be a great addition as well. Enjoy the last of the summer produce!

Summer Spaghetti
Source: Better Homes & Garden Magazine, June 2012 issue, via Pennies on a Platter

Ingredients:
8 oz.whole wheat spaghetti
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
Pinch of crushed red pepper
1 1/2 cups grilled zucchini and/or other summer veggies (I used red pepper chunks too.)
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
Small handful fresh basil, chiffonaded
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 
1 Tablespoon feta cheese

Directions:
1. Prepare spaghetti according to package directions until al dente. Reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid.

2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the zucchini, other veggies, tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low.

3. Add the spaghetti and reserved cooking liquid to the vegetable mixture. Mix well and heat for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

4. Serve with a sprinkle of feta cheese over the top. (not pictured since I added it last-minute)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment