Lijit Ad Tag

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cinnamon-Topped Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread


I may have mentioned this before, but I have been really trying to use all of the food in our house before it goes bad. I have a really bad habit of throwing away produce before we eat it all. On a side note, one of the best things I have done is put my cilantro stems in a cup of water with a plastic bag over it...it has stayed fresh for over a week now! Since I typically don't get through an entire bunch of cilantro in one week, this tip has been great. But back to the zucchini. I had used some for 2 different dishes throughout the week, but still had some shredded zucchini that needed used. Since we love zucchini bread and I hadn't made any this year, I decided to go with that. I didn't have enough all-purpose flour so I decided to keep it healthier with whole wheat. We enjoyed this bread warmed up with a little butter spread on it, but my husband says that cream cheese would be even better. The cinnamon-sugar topping was definitely the star of this bread!

Cinnamon-Topped Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread
Source: Betty Crocker

Ingredients:
Bread
3 cups shredded zucchini (2-3 medium)
1 2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Topping
3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon butter

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of 2 (8x4 inch) loaf pans or 1 (9x5) loaf pan.

2. Stir zucchini, sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs together in a large bowl. Then add the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).

3. Mix the sugar, cinnamon, and butter together with fingers or a fork until you have coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of each loaf.

4. Bake 8x4 inch loafs for 50-60 minutes or 9x5 inch loaf for 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.

5. Cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Remove each loaf from pan and cool directly on rack for at least 2 hours.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment