Lijit Ad Tag

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Southwestern Stuffed Peppers

I love Mexican food. I make it at least once a week and sometimes sneak it into the menu twice a week. I like that it's super flavorful and is usually quick to prepare. I have actually never made stuffed peppers before because I was under the impression that my husband did not like them. However, he informed me a couple of weeks ago that he doesn't mind when they are cooked so I decided to get stuffed peppers on the menu soon. This recipe gives stuffed peppers a Mexican spin, which I think is great. It takes no time at all to whip up the filling, but you do have to wait about 45 minutes for the peppers to bake. So, you'll need to give yourself enough time for that, but it's a super easy dinner otherwise.  I enjoyed this meal and will most likely make it again at some point. I think it would also be a great meal to serve to friends!

Just one note - I recommend using green or red peppers instead of orange, but unfortunately the grocery store was having a huge sale on peppers and I got there at the tail end of it so orange was all they had left.


Southwestern Stuffed Peppers

Source: Sunny Side Up in San Diego, who adapted it from Real Simple

Ingredients:

1 cup long-grain white rice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 pound ground beef
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup black beans
1 4.5 ounce can chopped green chilies 
1/4 cup salsa  
1 tsp cumin  
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne red pepper
4 ounces (1 cup) grated Monterey Jack cheese, divided
kosher salt and black pepper
4 large bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed (I just used 2, but plan to use the leftovers as burrito filling for lunches) 
1/2 cup light sour cream 
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
Juice from 1/2 lime


Directions:

1. Cook the rice according to the package directions. 

2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Season with the cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. Then add in the corn, black beans, green chilies, salsa, cooked rice, and 1/2 cup of the cheese.


3. Put 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, then put in the peppers, cut-side up. Fill the peppers with the filling. Cover the dish tightly with foil, then bake for 30-40 minutes. Uncover, add the rest of the cheese, then bake for 5-8 more minutes until cheese is golden brown.


4. While the peppers are cooking, make the sauce. Mix together the sour cream, garlic, and lime juice. You can thin the sauce out more by adding up to 1 tablespoon of water, if needed.


5. Once the peppers are finished cooking, drizzle the sauce over them and serve.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited you are starting up your food blog again! I think I followed this blog back before I knew it was yours!

    ReplyDelete