Lijit Ad Tag

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Caprese Lasagna with Spicy Turkey Sausage


So, I quit my food blog awhile back. The main reason is that I am not a good photographer...at all. Even when I try hard my pictures still suck. But...I miss blogging about food and keeping all of my recipes in one place. So, I think I might attempt it again. We'll see if I can actually get pictures each night though since we typically don't eat until 8:30-9 with Jon's work schedule. Alright, here we go!


I love pasta, but don't usually make lasagna because my mom always makes it for me. She makes up large batches of food throughout the winter and we are always the eager recipients of it. But then I realized that I can make other types of lasagna, like ones that are more geared towards summer. This lasagna was especially good and I can see it being a repeat in my kitchen. The tomatoes and basil made it seem very fresh and light. Even the white sauce wasn't too heavy, especially since I made it with non-fat milk. I also used less mozzarella than called for, but it was still cheesy enough to be good. 


Caprese Lasagna with Spicy Turkey Sausage
Source: Iowa Girl Eats who adapted it from Rachael Ray

Ingredients:


3/4lb lasagna noodles (you only need 9 noodles & you could easily use no-boil noodles to cut out a step!)
extra virgin olive oil
3/4lb hot turkey Italian sausage 
2 Tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Tablespoons flour (I used a bit more flour since I used non-fat milk - so you will want to add a bit more butter too)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
salt & pepper
4 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
8 basil leaves, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, then drain. Return to pot and add a little extra virgin olive oil to keep them from sticking together.
  2. Meanwhile, remove casing from sausage and cook in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
  3. Using the same skillet, melt butter, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour, then whisk to combine and cook for 30 more seconds.
  4. Pour chicken broth in slowly and whisk to get rid of any clumps. Continue adding the broth and whisking until mixture is smooth. Pour in milk and whisk to combine. Season with salt & pepper. Note:  You can always pour through a fine-mesh sieve if the mixture does not turn out smooth.
  5. Stir sauce until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Optional step: Pour mixture into a bowl with a spout to make it easier to pour onto the lasagna. 
  6. Spray the bottom and sides of a 9×13″ baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour 1/4 cup sauce into the bottom, then spread evenly. Put 3 lasagna noodles in the bottom, then top with 1/3 of the tomatoes, 1/3 of the basil, 1/3 of the cooked turkey sausage, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1/3 of the remaining sauce. Repeat 2 more times, for a total of three layers.
  7. Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and sauce is bubbly. Let sit 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back to food blogging! I'm officially starving after looking at that picture so you must be doing something right! ;)

    ReplyDelete