Since I like to procrastinate and I saw a recipe for these and instantly got a craving, I decided to go ahead and make these chocolate chip cookie bars. I saved 72.5 calories per serving by subbing applesauce for the oil in these. So, one cookie bar only has 147.5 calories compared to 220 calories for the original! Yeah, I figured out the math - I'm a huge dork. Now I don't feel so bad making dessert tonight. After typing all of that, I tried the cookie bar and the applesauce definitely changed the texture. It is more cake-like than bar-like. They are still good, but I wanted to warn you that the texture would change if you decide to sub in applesauce! You can even tell in the bottom picture that they are cakey.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Adapted from allrecipes.com as seen on Tricia's Kitchen
2.5 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup oil (I used applesauce)
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugars and the oil. (I used my Kitchen Aid!)
- Add vanilla and eggs/applesauce, mixing well.
- Gradually add dry ingredients.
- Stir in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. (I just sprayed cooking spray in the pan)
- Spread the dough into the pan & sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 15-25 minutes until light golden brown.