Lijit Ad Tag

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad


Quinoa is a food that many people have been talking about for a few years now and has been featured in most healthy living magazines and blogs. It is a healthy whole grain that is actually a seed. Now that I have finally figured out that my grocery store carries it in the bulk foods area, I am able to purchase it on a regular basis. And yes, I know I should have looked there multiple times, but I forgot every time I went to the store. I have had this recipe bookmarked for quite awhile and am glad that I finally made it. The flavors all worked really well together and made a filling meal. I hope to make more quinoa recipes I have pinned soon!

BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad
Source: Slightly adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken broth

2 chicken breasts

salt & pepper

1 cup corn kernels

1/2 cup black beans, drained & rinsed

1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream

1/4 cup BBQ sauce (plus more for chicken)
Directions:
1. Rinse quinoa with cold water in a fine mesh sieve and then transfer to large saucepan. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook the quinoa for 20 minutes, or until light and fluffy.

2. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Grill or poach the chicken, then shred and toss with BBQ sauce.

3. Combine the corn and black beans in a skillet and heat over medium heat.

4. Combine the sour cream and 1/4 cup BBQ sauce in a small bowl.

5. Spoon the quinoa into a dish, then top with the chicken, corn and black bean mixture, cheese, sour cream/BBQ sauce mixture and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment