Lijit Ad Tag

Friday, July 3, 2009

Fresh Rhubarb Pie

We used to have a rhubarb plant in our yard when I was growing up. I remember my mom digging it up one year since it basically started to overtake the yard. It came back the next year. My mom dug it up again...and it finally went away. Fast forward 5-7 years later and I started dating my now husband. He loves rhubarb - especially in pies. I wish my parents still had that rhubarb plant.

Anyways, as a belated birthday gift I made this pie for Jon not really knowing what to expect. I have had strawberry & rhubarb pie before, but never strictly rhubarb. Oh, and did I mention that I've never even made a homemade pie crust before? So I was diving into a few unknowns with this project, but I think it turned out pretty fabulous if I do say so myself. The only thing that went wrong was the size of the crusts when I rolled them out. They weren't quite large enough so I couldn't flute the crusts together that great, but there was still a slight crust around the pie.


Classic Crisco Pie Crust

Source: Crisco.com

Ingredients:
2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
1
teaspoon salt
3/4 cup well-chilled Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
4 to 8
tablespoons ice cold water (I only needed 4)

Directions:

BLEND flour and salt in medium mixing bowl.

SPRINKLE half the maximum recommended amount of ice cold water over the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir and draw flour from bottom of bowl to the top, distributing moisture evenly into flour. Press chunks down to bottom of bowl with fork. Add more water by the tablespoon, until dough is moist enough to hold together when pressed together.

TIP:
Test dough for proper moistness by squeezing a marble-sized ball of dough in your hand. If it holds together firmly, do not add any additional water. If the dough crumbles, add more water by the tablespoonful, until dough is moist enough to form a smooth ball when pressed together.

SHAPE dough into a ball for single pie crust. Divide dough in two for double crust or double deep dish crust, one ball slightly larger than the other. Flatten ball(s) into 1/2-inch thick round disk(s).Chill for 30 minutes or up to 2 days.

ROLL dough (larger ball of dough for double crust pie) from center outward with steady pressure on a lightly floured work surface (or between two sheets of wax or pa rchment paper) into a circle 2-inches wider than pie plate for the bottom crust. Transfer dough to pie plate by loosely rolling around rolling pin. Center the rolling pin over the pie plate, and then unroll, easing dough into pie plate.

For a DOUBLE pie crust, roll larger disk for bottom crust, trimming edges of dough even with outer edge of pie plate. Fill unbaked pie crust according to recipe directions. Roll out smaller dough disk. Transfer dough carefully onto filled pie. Trim edges of dough leaving a 3/4-inch overhang. Fold top edge under bottom crust. Press edges together to seal and flute as desired. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to vent steam. Bake according to specific recipe directions.

Fresh Rhubarb Pie
Source: Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/3 cups white sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle 1/4 of it over pastry in pie plate. Heap rhubarb over this mixture. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and flour. Dot with small pieces of butter. Cover with top crust.

Place pie on lowest rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love rhubarb pie and I just saw fresh rhubarb in the grocery store. Lucky me! I'm definitely going to try this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete