Lijit Ad Tag

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tomato Basil Soup & Grilled Turkey and Ham Sandwiches

I've always wanted to make my own tomato soup to see how it measures up against the condensed kind so once I saw this recipe pop up on my Google Reader, I knew I would someday be making it! I finally got the chance to do that this past week. This tomato soup is really good, although I cannot find fresh basil anywhere so I had to use dried. I really think the fresh would flavor the soup MUCH better. However, I still thought it was pretty good and Jon ate two bowls so I'm assuming he liked it too! He added some shredded cheese and croutons to his second bowl to flavor it up even more. As for this sandwiches - I LOVED them. I used Miracle Whip Light and I just think it added that little extra zip!

Tomato Basil Soup
Source: Savory Spicy Sweet, who adapted it from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
14 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
18 fresh basil leaves, minced (I used minced but strongly recommend fresh if you can find it!)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup whole milk, half and half, or whipping cream (I used half & half)
3 to 8 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper, to taste
grated or shredded Parmesan, for garnish

Directions:
In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil and sugar. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream (or milk) and butter. Cook until butter is melted.

Grilled Turkey & Ham Sandwiches
Source: Cooking Light - go to website to get recipe! :)Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I actually froze some basil from my herb garden last summer. Let me know the next time you need "fresh" ... it's a bit closer than dried. :-) And in only a few short months, I will have fresh basil again, and enough to share!

    ReplyDelete