Lijit Ad Tag

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Chili Rubbed Steak Tacos

I've been looking for a group that posts recipes and then you have the month to make them and try them out. I found Dinner Divas, which posts recipes but doesn't require you to make all of them and you can change it according to your tastes. I had some sirloin steak in my freezer and most of the other ingredients so I decided to make one of the January recipes. I did not make the salsa that is posted on this recipe and used jarred salsa instead to save some money. This is an Ellie Krieger recipe so it is healthy - something we are all looking for after the holiday season!

Chili Rubbed Steak Tacos
Adapted from The Food Network, as seen on Dinner Divas

Of course I totally forgot to put on the red cabbage before taking this picture! I also added light sour cream.
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
A pinch cayenne pepper
1 1/4 pound top sirloin steaks cut 1-inch thick
12 small corn tortillas (5 to 6 inches in diameter) (I used whole wheat tortillas because I need to use them for another recipe later this week)
3 cups shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
1 lime, cut into wedges
2 cups Avocado Lime Salsa, recipe follows
Shredded cheese (added)

Directions:

In a small bowl stir together chili powder, garlic, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper. Rub spice mixture on both sides of steaks.

Grill or broil steaks for 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium rare, turning once. Remove from grill and let meat sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Carve into thin slices. (I used my George Foreman and grilled for 5 minutes although I wish I would have only grilled them for 4 because they came out a little too done for us)

Warm tortillas by placing them on the grill, for about 30 seconds, turning once. Or place 6 tortillas at a time between 2 moist paper towels and microwave for 45 seconds. Wrap in cloth napkin or place in a tortilla warmer to keep warm. Place the carved steak, warm tortillas, cabbage, cilantro, lime and Avocado Lime Salsa in serving dishes and let diners make their own tacos at the table.

Avocado Lime Salsa:
1 large cucumber peeled, seeded and cut into chunks (about 2 cups)
2 avocados, cut into chunks
1/2 red onion, diced
2 limes, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
Salt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
2 jalapeno chiles, chopped, plus more to taste
Place cucumber, avocado and onion in a large bowl and add lime juice and salt. Add cilantro and chiles and toss gently.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment