Lijit Ad Tag

Friday, January 16, 2009

Black Bean & Pumpkin Chili

Last night was the perfect night to make some chili due to the extreme cold front that we had pass through Ohio. It's still passing through might I add! I have always wanted to try the black bean and pumpkin combination, but never got the chance during the fall when I usually use pumpkin flavors. Both Jon and I liked this chili, but he admitted that there needed to be meat in it. I made it vegetarian (the recipe calls for turkey) and I think it could have used some ground turkey or beef. I was afraid that it would taste too "pumpkiny" after tasting it when I put all of the ingredients in, but the pumpkin then melded very well with the rest of the flavors after it simmered for awhile.

Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili
Adapted from Taste of Home (Oct/Nov 2008 issue)

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, chopped (I used half an onion that I had leftover from a previous night's dinner)
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped (Omitted because I refuse to pay almost $2 just for one pepper)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups chicken broth (I used about 3.5 cups because the soup was a little too thick)
2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
2-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey (Omitted)
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
In a large skillet, saute the onion, yellow pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients. (I sauteed the onion & garlic in a soup pot and then added the rest of the ingredients to the pot.)
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.
(I simmered the soup in the soup pot for about half an hour)Pin It

4 comments:

  1. What an interesting combo! I love pumpkin in savory dishes. I used to be afraid of it, but I'm glad I tried it once. Now I know how great it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great combo of pumpkin and black bean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey lady i made a new recipe blog on wordpress. i liked the layouts better, lol. check it: http://allyseats.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, this isn't really another comment about this specific post, but I wanted to let you know that I nominated your blog for an award! You can pick it up at: http://www.runplaycook.com/?p=350

    ReplyDelete