Lijit Ad Tag

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Creamy Potato Soup

I LOVE potato soup. It definitely is a comfort food for me. I've also never made it by pureeing it first...I usually just have potato chunks in mine. I'm actually not sure which kind I prefer now - I loved the creaminess of this recipe though.

Creamy Potato Soup with Chives
Adapted from Loves to Eat (from Cook's Illustrated)


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, or the same amount of vegetable or olive oil
1 medium onion, 3 medium shallots, or 1 medium leek (white and light green parts only), chopped
2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or low-fat vegetable broth
1 teaspoon table salt
ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups milk
2 teaspoons minced fresh chives (I omitted because I didn't have any)

Directions:
Heat butter or oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and potato; stir-cook until sherry evaporates, about 30 seconds.
Add stock, salt and pepper to taste to saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Ladle potato mixture into blender. Add 1 cup milk; blend until very smooth. Return soup to saucepan; cook over low heat until warmed through. If soup is too thick, stir in additional milk to thin consistency. Adjust seasonings. (Soup can be refrigerated for 3 days and reheated just before serving.)
Ladle soup into individual bowls. Garnish with minced chives and serve immediately.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment