Sometimes I crave pastries in the morning, but I don't want to eat a ridiculously unhealthy breakfast either. These scones satisfy that craving while being slightly healthier than other scones I have made in the past. Whole wheat flour replaces white flour and canola oil replaces butter. Low-fat buttermilk is used to bring the mixture together and of course adding some fruit helps too. This recipe only makes 5 scones because I only had enough strawberries to make half of the recipe. Feel free to double it if you would like to make more! I also think some fresh orange or lemon zest would add some great flavor. And if you think making fresh pastries in the morning is too cumbersome...then you will be pleased to know that these only take 5-10 minutes to mix up!
Whole Wheat Strawberry Scones
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup strawberries, cleaned and diced
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking power, and baking soda together in a medium-sized bowl.
3. Then add the canola oil and mix until clumps form.
4. Add the buttermilk and diced strawberries and mix to combine. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
5. Measure out 5 scones with a 1/3 measuring cup and place on cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 15 minutes. Cook on rack.
7. Serve as is or with some butter or jam.Pin It