Lijit Ad Tag

Monday, August 3, 2009

Peach Crumble

There's a local produce stand that's just a little ways beyond the main road. I've never been there before...at least not for produce. They have a pumpkin patch in the fall that Jon and I have gone to for the past 4 years. If you choose, you can sit on hay bales in a big wagon and a horse will trot you into the field. We did that for the first 2 years, but since the wagon is mostly filled with small children and their families, we now opt to walk out into the field to find the biggest pumpkins we can. We then bring them back home & carve them with friends....a nice fall tradition! Anyways, I digress. Our town only has 2 farmers' markets - one is held on Saturdays for 2 hours in the morning and the other is held on Wednesdays for 2 hours in the evening. This stand is open every day except Monday making it much more convenient. I know they are closed on Monday because the one other time I tried to go was on a Monday. I must have missed the huge sign on the main road that stated their hours. Oops. I'm glad I finally got to go there because I found some wonderful peaches at a great price.

In the food blogging world there have been a lot of crumbles, crisps and cobblers lately. It is that time of the year after all. I have already made a blueberry cobbler earlier this summer and intend to make a peach and blueberry crumble tomorrow. Here is just one more crumble to add to the arsenal. I thought about not adding it to the blog, especially since I was making a different crumble tomorrow, but thought maybe someone out there would appreciate this recipe. This peach crumble was good - the peaches were tender, the topping was nice & buttery, and the whipped cream added that extra something.

Martha's Peach Crumble
Source: Mad About Martha


Ingredients:
8 ripe peaches, pitted and sliced (I only used 3 because they were huge & I used a slightly smaller casserole dish)
Juice of 1 lemon
Large pinch of ground cinnamon
Large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into thin pieces
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
Heavy cream (optional)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375F.

Arrange the peach slices in a buttered shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with the lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.

In a small bowl, combine the flour and brown sugar. With your fingers, blend the butter into the flour-sugar mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Stir in the oats and sprinkle the mixture on top of the sliced peaches. Bake until the peaches are soft and the topping is brown, about 25 minutes.

Serve warm with fresh or whipped cream, if desired.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment