Lijit Ad Tag

Friday, December 5, 2008

Salmon Cakes

I was in one of those moods tonight where I had no idea what I wanted for dinner, but knew that I wanted something "light." Maybe it was due to the fact that the only things I've had all day were 3 chocolate chip cookies & a peppermint mocha. Yeah, probably not the best things to have eaten all day, but I think we all have days like that. I've had a packet of salmon for what seems like forever...I originally bought it to put over salad for lunch. I knew I could find a better use for it so I went searching for recipes. I ended up on the Chicken of the Sea website...which is the brand of the salmon I had...and thought that salmon cakes sounded pretty good. I roughly used the following recipe, but didn't measure anything and adapted it to what I had on hand and to the 3 ounce package of salmon I had rather than the 7.1 ounce the recipe calls for. Overall, these turned out pretty well and was exactly what I was looking for!

Salmon Cakes with Lemon-Herb Sauce
Adapted from Chicken of the Sea

Ingredients
7.1 oz. Chicken of the Sea® Premium Skinless & Boneless Pink Salmon Pouch (I used the 3 ounce pouch)
1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper (Omitted)
1/4 cup finely chopped green onion (Omitted)
The following ingredients I did not measure so these reflect the original recipe...I used what looked like the appropriate amount:
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip Light)
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
Cayenne (red) pepper, to taste
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup dry bread crumbs
3 Tablespoons butter

Lemon-Herb Sauce
3/4 cup mayonnaise or low-fat mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip light)
1 Tablespoon each: fresh lemon juice and prepared horseradish (Omitted horseradish)
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme OR 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste (Omitted because of the seasoned salt in the cakes)

In small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients; blend well. Makes about 1 cup sauce.

Directions

In bowl, combine bell pepper, green onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, seasoned salt and cayenne pepper; flake in Chicken of the Sea® Salmon. Add egg and 1/4-cup of the breadcrumbs; mix until well blended. Divide and form mixture into 8 balls (about 1/4-cup each). Roll salmon balls in remaining breadcrumbs; flatten into cakes about 1/2-inch thick. In large skillet, over medium heat, melted butter. Fry salmon cakes in for 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown. Serve with Lemon-Herb Sauce. Makes 4 to 8 servings.

I made one of the cakes pretty big so it ended up falling apart, but still tasted good!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment